A leak or burst can do a lot of damage to your Yakima home if not cleaned up quickly. Water soaks into the structure, causing it to weaken, and the materials could fail and possibly even break. In addition to the damage that prolonged contact with water may also lead to:
- Fire caused by contact with electrical outlets or sources.
- Softening and rotting of wood and other organic materials.
- Stains caused by minerals or particles in the water seeping into porous materials such as stone or wood.
- The spread of bacteria or disease in water from contaminated sources like sewers.
- Odors caused by mold, mildew, and bacteria.
Besides weakening the structure of a home, water damage can quickly lead to microbial growth. The presence of mold and mildew in a home can lead to poor air quality and potential health hazards for those with weak immune systems.
Factors In Cleanup Costs
While there are some basic costs per square foot for moisture issues in the home, many factors can influence what your final costs are. The primary driver is the type of water damage. Clean water from a pipe or the rain is the least costly. “Gray water” that has come from a dishwasher, washing machine, or other appliance can contain chemicals, and be twice as expensive. Blackwater, or water that has come from a contaminated source such as a backed-up sewer pipe, is obviously the most costly to remedy.
The types of building materials will also impact the total cost. For example, if there’s no water damage beyond moisture, then drying out your home will be fast and easy to do, costing the least. However, if you have damage to the drywall, this will cost more to repair as the old drywall will need to be removed. Damage to plaster walls would cost even more since they are more time consuming to repair.
The size of the affected area and the location will also affect the cost; a small, easily accessed area might be a few hundred dollars. However, standing water an inch deep covering the entirety of a basement will cost many thousands of dollars to clean up.
What Do Do While You Wait For Clean Image Services
- Stay calm… the team is on the way to help.
- Make sure your electrical panel is accessible; move any boxes or items in the way.
- Identify and remove any valuables that you would personally like to take care of.
- Note any sentimental or valuable items that you would like the team to focus on first.
Water Damage Cleanup In Yakima
Even a small slow leak can lead to expensive damage to your home’s structure and your belongings. It is imperative to get an expert water damage clean up team on-site to assess the damage and begin cleaning up. Clean Image Services is a Kittitas County, family-owned cleaning and restoration company with nearly 20 years of experience. They accept a duty to treat each property and possession with respect when they help people and businesses in Central Washington.