Now Hiring! Join Our Team Today

The Top 7 Common Causes of House Fires and How to Prevent Them

Nothing is more terrifying for a homeowner than a house fire. They are destructive and dangerous, spreading quickly as they burn. Many house fires can be prevented if homeowners take the proper precautions to keep their homes safe. Here are some of the most common causes of house fires and what you can do to protect your damage yakima wa

1. Cooking Accidents

With grease fires, burning food, or broken ovens, most accidental house fires start in the kitchen. To be safe, it is important to keep a fire extinguisher nearby when cooking. You should also never leave a stove or oven unattended while you are cooking.

2. Candles

We love using candles to make our houses smell nice and to create a comfortable atmosphere. However, candles can lead to house fires. Always be sure to keep candles on a surface where they are far away from anything that could get caught in the flame, or that could fall and tip them over. Never leave lit candles unattended.

3. Kids

All children play with things they shouldn’t, especially when no one is looking. It is important to teach your kids about fire safety at a young age so they know how dangerous fire is. Keep matches and lighters somewhere kids can’t get into them. Also, make sure your electric outlets are childproof, especially while you have infants and toddlers in your home.

4. Electric Fires

Electric fires are most commonly caused by plugging too many things into extension cords. Even with extension cords, outlets can only handle so much electricity running through them. Keep your wattage in each outlet low. You can hire an electrician to provide permanent wiring if some areas use too much electricity. You should also have an electrician check your house’s wiring annually to make sure everything is safe and working correctly.

5. Heaters

Once winter comes around, your heater is likely used constantly. Because of the need to use your heater, it is vital to make sure it is cleaned and the filter is replaced before you start running it every day. It is also recommended that your furnace be serviced regularly. Space heaters are also nice to keep a small area warm but can be a fire risk. Make sure you do not run your space heater all the time, only when you are in the area where it is heating. Do not leave it unattended. 

6. Dryers

Clogged or malfunctioning dryer vents can cause your dryer to catch fire. It is important to make sure these vents are cleared often. You should also clean the lint filter after every load of laundry. Ensure there is no other lint on, under, or around the dryer, as this is a fire hazard.

7. Fireplace

Fireplaces are nice and cozy, especially during the winter. But if you are going to light a fire in your fireplace, do not leave it unattended. You should also get your chimney cleaned and serviced regularly to prevent smoke or fire damage, and always make sure the flue is open while you are using it.

Fire Damage- Yakima, WA

Fire safety and prevention are very important, but accidents can still happen. If you experience any fire damage in your Yakima home, be sure to call Clean Image Services to repair the damage and keep your home safe.