Now Hiring! Join Our Team Today

Prevent Fire Disasters With These Fire Safety Tips

fire damage restoration kittitas county waFires can destroy anything. Items nearby that are not destroyed could possibly be restored, but removing the soot and acrid smells can be challenging. After a fire, overthinking things that you could have done to prevent it could lead to guilt and sleepless nights. Fire damage cleanup can take months to go through, but these five steps can help prevent a fire in the first place.

Fire Damage Restoration In Kittitas County, WA

The following are eight effective ways that our team at Clean Image Services has seen to help prevent fires in your home.

Install Smoke Detectors

Smoke detectors are often our first defense against fire damage. They are a quick and economic alert to help you get control of a situation before the flames light up and get out of control. Make sure to install smoke detectors on every level of the house and in every bedroom. Replace batteries every six months or so. 

Install Fire Extinguishers

Fire extinguishers can be used to extinguish small fires. They should be placed near every exit of the house so you can grab them as you are evacuating the house. Small kitchen extinguishers should also be kept in the kitchen where a fire is most likely to break out. Keep fire extinguishers in your garage or any outbuildings where combustibles may be kept. 

Avoid Candles

Candles have caused more than 23,000 house fires each year. Although they provide a relaxing atmosphere and pleasing fragrances, it is recommended to use alternatives like flashlights for illumination or heated wax for fragrances. 

Inspect Chimneys, Fireplaces, And Wood Stoves

Creosote buildup in chimneys, fireplaces, and wood stoves can re-ignite. Other foreign materials can also find their way into chimneys. Keep your fire sources clean to avoid the possibility of fire and soot damage. 

Keep Lighters And Matches Locked Up

If lighters and matches get into the wrong hands, the combination of little hands and lighters or matches could cause a catastrophe. Keep lighters and matches locked away to prevent disaster or even death through accidental fires. 

Keep Space Heaters Away From Curtains And Combustibles

Space heaters should be unplugged when not used and at least turned off when families are asleep or not home. Keep the area clear of hanging fabric or clutter to avoid unwanted fires

Keep Areas Around Stoves Clear

Gas stoves are especially susceptible to fires as dish towels, and hot pads that are normally nearby can ignite and cause a kitchen fire. Be cautious of electric stoves as well as they could ignite materials that are too close to burners.  

Be Aware Of Light Bulbs And Extension Cords

Some lamps and light sockets have a limit on how many watts a light bulb can have. If there are more watts than recommended, it can overheat and cause sparks, leading to a fire. Do not overload extension cords, and do not connect extension cords to other extension cords. Also, keep clothing and rugs off of cords to keep them from overheating and starting a fire. 

Being aware of these tips to prevent fire hazards can help save you from disaster and having a major fire damage restoration project. A few simple acts today can save you from fire damage in the future. If you ever face the struggles of a fire damage cleanup, don’t hesitate to call our team of professionals at Clean Image Services.