Clean Image Services Blog

This is the blog of Clean Image Services. Check here for the latest information from our team and for information on cleaning & damage restoration tips & services.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.

True or False: Using bleach is the best way to get rid of mold?

Posted by on in Restoration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 5577
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

According to many people and websites, bleach is a great way to remove mold from your home, but the mold remediation industry has a different story:

Why not to use bleach: It is not recommended to use bleach in attempt to kill mold, as it is not an acceptable form of remediation. The reason for this is that common household bleach is 98% water and 2% chlorine. It is true that chlorine will kill mold but you would need to use industrial strength chlorine which is highly toxic and would be more dangerous than the mold itself! Additionally, chlorine evaporates at a faster rate than water which means if you use common household bleach you are adding water to a surface which is moldy and providing exactly what it needs to survive. If the area is not dry when the bleach evaporates, or moisture is still in the contaminated area you could actually re-start mold growth! Basically, bleaching a moldy surface whitens the mold and makes it harder to see, it doesn't kill it! This is because the ionic structure of bleach prevents chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood - it just stays on the outside surface, whereas mold has enzyme roots growing inside the porous materials. Unfortunately, the water easily penetrates and actually FEEDS the mold -this is why a few days later you will notice darker, more concentrated mold growing on the previously bleached area. Mold remediation involves the need to disinfect wood and wood-based building materials, all of which are porous materials. Thus, chlorine bleach should not be used in mold remediation.

Effectively killing mold: Mold must be killed at its "roots". A better alternative to bleach is a peroxide based product specifically formulated to kill mold. Though many materials can be cleaned and treated some porous materials (such as drywall) are often beyond cleaning and will need to be removed. Please give us a call and a qualified technician will assist you in getting on the right track to safe and effective mold remediation.

Why proper remediation is crucial: The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) warns, "Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins)." The most common health problem is an allergic reaction. Other problems are respiratory and/or immune system responses including respiratory symptoms, respiratory infections, and asthma. Severe reactions are rare but possible. A person's reaction to mold depends on their sensitivity and other health conditions, the amount of mold present, length of exposure and the type of mold.
Bottom line, if you have a mold problem it needs to be dealt with properly! Please, don't reach for the Clorox®! Give us a call or go to our website: our website. Looking forward to restoring the health of your home!

0